Assessed Activity 7.1 Reflection Learning Tech 7.2 DLT Tools



           Issues of DLT  




I was not able to attend the Digital Learning Technology class field trip, however I was able to follow the trip online through the WiFi network connection and live video conference streams. 
I found the experience very interesting  using this technology, it had incredible potential but due to insufficient bandwidth and  poor routing problems I began to question its feasibility.
Initially as the class began their walk away from campus my connection became laggy and upon querying my tutor about my latency problem, I noticed another reason why my connection was so laggy, I was surrounded by digital devices, there was the TV in the lounge streaming YouTube, my two sons using their I Pads, my partner on our laptop, and my daughter playing games on the phone, all of which where siphoning the bandwidth, then just in case I was still unsure that this posed a real problem, in walks four visitors all with their own mobile devices, at that moment my connection froze.
Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages I found in my experience using video conferencing.

Advantages:

  • Attend in real time
  • Able to attend over distance
  • Convenience
  • Cheap
  • Allowed me to interact
  • Without video conference, missing out on such important aspect could be problematic

Disadvantages:

  • Bandwidth limitations
  • Routing limitations
  • Multiple end-user connection interference
Streaming a live video conference in the class room was a better experience, not as laggy and a clearer audio, but as the class progressed through the field trip, and with my surprise visitors showing up, my video conference became a disaster. So for this technology to be successful you need to control your home network ensuring you have a strong enough connection. 


I have a video of my  experienced in this link here but as
 I have learnt, to ensure a good connection you must definitely limit the amount of devices connected on your end, but all in all I enjoyed the stream, it felt like I was there.

Attending class in the field via DLT




No comments:

Post a Comment